[LLVMdev] Status of PTX Backend

Helge Rhodin helge.rhodin at alice-dsl.net
Thu Oct 7 10:19:58 PDT 2010

  Hi,

The PTX backend we developed (CBackend approach, does not use the target
independent code generator) is already more advanced.
An older version is published here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/llvmptxbackend/

We recently eliminated a bug which increased the number of required
registers per thread. Surprisingly, without that bug the generated code
is already comparable to code generated by the official nvcc copiler.
Of cause the nvcc compiler is superior in a lot of cases, however only
by a small margin. And there are even cases(e.g. a phong surface shader)
where our PTX backend is faster, without any particular optimization! It
seems like the NVIDIA driver does a good job at late optimizations liker
register allocation etc. I can give you some numbers if you are intrested.
I'll push the newest version of the backend to sourceforge during the
next days.

What kind of optimizations are you planning to do? If you want to apply
high level (on llvm bitcode) optimizations, you can start with our PTX
backend and shwitch over to the new backend approach later on (If it
turns out that the new approach is really faster).

best, Helge