[LLVMdev] Using multiple ExecutionEngines for better parallelism?

George Brewster g at brewster.org
Thu Oct 7 09:41:17 PDT 2010

Hi,
I'm working on an application that compiles using LLVM from multiple
threads. Currently, I'm doing this using one ExecutionEngine, but I've
observed that this does not seem to scale well past a couple cores. I'd
like to be able to get as much parallelism as possible in the
compilation, and was wondering about using one ExecutionEngine per thread.
The only information I've found says this is not allowed, but the post
is 2.5 years old, and it seems like threading in LLVM has come a long
way since then. Has this changed, or is it still only possible to have
one ExecutionEngine? Are there any other ways to increase the
parallelism of LLVM compilation?

Thanks,
-George