[LLVMdev] LLVM Inliner

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Mon Nov 29 08:40:05 PST 2010

Hi David,

>      > Interesting -- LLVM does perform on the fly cleanups during inlining
>      > transformation -- this will make summary update precise. One thing I
>     notice from
>      > the debug pass dump is that the 'deduce function attribute' pass happens
>     before
>      > the clean up -- Is it intended?
>
>     you are correct.  This is due to a limitation of the pass manager: it would
>     clearly be better to run the function attributes pass after the per-function
>     passes that follow the inliner, but currently if you try what happens is that
>     first the inliner and on the fly cleanups get run on every function, and only
>     when they have finished the function attributes pass gets run on every
>     function.  That means that function attributes of callees will not have been
>     calculated when the inliner (and the subsequent function passes) process a
>     function, which is bad.  I think the pass manager should be fixed to not do
>     this, at which point the function attributes pass could be moved later.
>

> So bottom up traversal of the (scc node of) callgraph is not sufficient to
> guarantee all callees are processed before the caller?

that's not the problem, the problem is that the pass manager schedules two
bottom up traversals, one for the inliner + cleanup passes and another for
the function attributes pass, if you place place the function attributes
pass later in the pass list.  I don't know why, but it seems to be a pass
manager bug (perhaps it is a feature...).

Ciao,

Duncan.