[LLVMdev] request for windows unicode support

Jochen Wilhelmy j.wilhelmy at arcor.de
Fri Nov 26 06:38:31 PST 2010

> No. boost::filesystem makes extensive use of exceptions, which LLVM is
> compiled without, and it does a lot of string allocation and copying.

Then why not reimplement an exception-less path class that is
api-compatible with boost::filesystem::path
(i.e. omitting the rest of boost::filesystem) and of course more
optimized if this is possible.
on the other hand: if it can be replaced by boost via #ifdef and then
all of llvm has to be compiled with
exceptions, will the binary size increase much?

> The conversion only has to be written once. And while I do like the
> way boost::filesystem handles locale issues, the API is not suited for
> LLVM for the above reasons. However, if you have a better design than
> what I proposed, I'd love to see it. I'm not that familiar with
> dealing with Unicode under Windows.

I have not looked at your solution yet. at least you should accept const
wchar_t* under windows.
then it is possible to pass a boost path via path.c_str().

-Jochen