[LLVMdev] --enable-optimized breaks pass registration for dynamically loadable passes?

Ben Ransford ransford at cs.umass.edu
Mon Nov 22 11:45:24 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Ben Ransford <ransford at cs.umass.edu> wrote:
> Is it well known that building LLVM with --enable-optimized causes
> RegisterPass calls to be removed from dynamically loadable libraries
> (i.e., those built with LOADABLE_MODULE=1)?

Seems like I might have barked up the wrong tree.  I've shortened my
question above to make it more readable in the hopes of garnering a
reply.  I'll also ask an easier question: is it discouraged to put
custom passes in dynamically loadable libraries?  Reading between the
lines of recent developments, the fact that such passes still use the
"legacy" pass registration mechanism (if it's fair to call it that)
halfway suggests that I shouldn't be putting my passes in dynamically
loadable libraries -- correct me if I'm wrong.  But it's the cleanest
option I'm aware of for maintaining my pass code outside the LLVM
tree.

-ben