[LLVMdev] lli can't read .bc files

Ntwali Bashige ntbashige at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 00:37:51 PST 2010

Hi all

I'm a new to LLVM. I was unable to browse all the archive since I couldn't
locate any search option.
So here is my issue:

I installed LLVM under openSUSE 11.3 with the following llvm tools
----------
llvm-gcc (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2.8)
----------
Low Level Virtual Machine (http://llvm.org/):
  llvm version 2.6
  Optimized build.
  Built Jul 24 2010(08:41:55).

  Registered Targets:
    x86    - 32-bit X86: Pentium-Pro and above
    x86-64 - 64-bit X86: EM64T and AMD64
---------

The issue is that the LLI can't read the .bc file generated using:

% llvm-gcc -O3 -emit-llvm hello.c -c -o hello.bc

It issues the following error message:
LLVM ERROR: Error reading function 'main' from bitcode file: Unknown instruction

And also note that I installed LLVM from software.opensuse.org

How can this be solved.
I would also appreciate if anyone can point me to any source for
beginners so that the mailing list can
be for interesting issues.

Regards
Toussaint