[LLVMdev] Fwd: Build Attributes Proposal

Sandeep Patel deeppatel1987 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 15:55:31 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Renato Golin <rengolin at systemcall.org> wrote:
> On 17 November 2010 23:13, Sandeep Patel <deeppatel1987 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suppose per-function is best. I'd argue that the ARM attributes are
>> all per-function as well. My favorite example is
>> __attribute__((pcs("aapcs-vfp"))) as a function attribute to select
>> the calling convention.
>>
>> Maybe these attributes could referenced like metadata so they can be
>> merged if identical?
>
> LLVM IR already represents that as aapcs_vfpcc function attribute.

Yes. The ARM attributes want to know what the CC is for the entire
translation unit, which because of this very function attribute is not
possible to accurately specify.

If we treat them all as function attributes, then we have the same
merge problem on the function level that the linker normally solves.

deep