[LLVMdev] Is it possible to run llvm on mips machine?

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Wed Nov 17 00:43:51 PST 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 12:30 AM, James Molloy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are numerous emails flying around the list at the moment regarding the state of the JIT. In its current state it is infeasible to add support for another architecture (very difficult to say the least) - there are plans currently being formulated to deal with this and convert the JIT to the new MC architecture, which would allow much easier porting between platforms.

I think infeasible is probably too strong a word. In fact, it would be just as easy to do support in the existing JIT for mips as it would be to add MC work for the target. That said, I'd probably add MC support for the target since that'll be the way forward and will hopefully get a lot of the JIT support for free-ish.

> Have a look for the subject "[LLVMdev] MC-JIT Design".
>
> Also, what sort of memory footprint would you require to use the JIT on a MIPS target? The JIT currently (and the next incarnation is also likely to) pulls in an awful lot of fat LLVM libraries that cause a JIT-based compiler to be 8MB-up on x86. MIPS would be substantially larger than this due to its RISC instruction set.

Most MIPS targets these days can have some pretty hefty ram -, he could be wanting to JIT on an old SGI machine, my last one had 8GB of ram :)

That said most of the embedded linux boards will generally ship with about a GB or 4.

-eric