[LLVMdev] MCStreamer interface

Nathan Jeffords blunted2night at gmail.com
Wed May 5 14:48:44 PDT 2010

Somewhere I had got it in my head that global variables had static storage
class by default. I guess I was wrong.

On May 5, 2010 2:45 PM, "Dale Johannesen" <dalej at apple.com> wrote:

On May 5, 2010, at 2:32 PMPDT, Nathan Jeffords wrote:

>> Global definitions like "int x;" are t...
Technically yes; the original K&R C book had the one-definition rule in it.
 Early C compilers did not work this way, however, and by the time that book
was published (1978) there was already a large body of code that assumed the
"common" model (also Ritchie's preference, I believe).  In practice most
compilers still default to this model because a lot of widely used stuff
will break if they don't, and the behavior is given in J.5.11 of C99 as a
common extension.

Use -fno-common to turn it off.