[LLVMdev] Getting started with LLVM on Win32 from non-C/C++ language

Barry Kelly bkelly.ie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 10:43:42 PDT 2010

Samuel Crow wrote:

> Are you still using Cygwin?
> Why not try using MinGW instead.

It was available. I live in Cygwin; MSYS is a poor alternative. Also
generally speaking, open source projects targeting a POSIXy environment
have a higher probability of working first time with Cygwin, so it
serves well for investigation (e.g. no distribution in the GPL sense).

> I think Cygwin cannot create .DLL files

It can.

> or if it can,
> the build scripts are not set up to do it from Cygwin.

I was able to build a DLL by roughly:

  cd Release/lib
  for f in *.a; ar x $f; done
  rm PluginMain.o
  g++ -shared --export-all-symbols -o LLVM.dll *.o

(Credit to Óscar Fuentes in an old message.)

It doesn't link with Cygwin disabled (-mno-cygwin) because the libraries
have all been compiled without that switch used, of course.

I have yet to try and use the C API directly, however.

>  IIRC, Cygwin support is being
> dropped from later versions of LLVM so you'll have to either use Visual C++ to compile
> it or MinGW.

If Visual Studio 2008 were supported, I'd consider using it. The current
solution and project files work less than optimally when auto-upgraded
by VS2008.

Are you still working on an LLVM back end for FPC? What integration
approach are / were you using for that?

-- Barry

--
http://blog.barrkel.com/