[LLVMdev] Summer of Code ideas

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon Mar 22 13:27:18 PDT 2010

Hi,

I intend to participate in Google's Summer of Code this year, so I'd
like to bounce another idea around to see what you guys think. (I posted
a similar message to cfe-dev just now.) Be warned: this will shock you.
It may even horrify you.

1. Implement a 16-bit x86 backend. (*Chris recoils in horror*) Yeah, I
know 16-bit x86 is dead, but I find it interesting for historical
purposes (and also because the Wine project wants a 16-bit compiler to
make 16-bit regression tests :). Besides, then we can have a 16-bit
assembler, and we won't need GAS anymore to build boot loaders and the like.

Chip