[LLVMdev] gold plugin use

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 11 08:45:38 PST 2010

Swarup Kumar Sahoo wrote:
>>> Yes, ar and nm actually take -plugin option and if I pass this option, then I don't get these errors. But, llvm-gcc doesn't automatically pass this option to ar.
>>>
>> You probably just need to copy the gold plugin to
>> $PREFIX/lib/bfd-plugins. Let me know if that works. If not I will
>> check if there is a bug in the plugin search in binutils.
>>

> There is no problem in plugin search. If I give -plugin \path\to\plugin option to ar and nm, they are working fine. But, llvm-gcc doesn't pass this option to ar and nm automatically, so when I compile apache, I get those errors. When I wrote a small script to run ar with -plugin option for compiling apache, then I don't get these errors.

I don't believe that llvm-gcc is used to execute the ar command.  Having
read everyone's input, I believe the problem stems from the fact that
your llvmGold.so is not in a directory in which ar searches for plugins
by default, *and* the Makefiles aren't passing the --plugin option to
ar, so ar never loads llvmGold.so and cannot link LLVM bitcode files.

The solution is to either convince the software's build system to run ar
with the --plugin option (you can set the AR environment variable before
running configure to do this) or place llvmGold.so in the bfd-plugins
directory as Rafael suggests (which will cause ar to load it whenever it
is run).

-- John T.