[LLVMdev] glod plugin use

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Wed Mar 10 22:09:22 PST 2010

Swarup Kumar Sahoo wrote:
> Hi,
>      I was trying to use gold plugin to compile and run some of my passes on some large softwares like mysql, apache etc. When I compile using llvm-gcc, everything works fine. But, when I followed the instructions on http://llvm.org/docs/GoldPlugin.html#build to use gold plugin, I got errors like:
>
> /home/vadve/ssahoo2/local/bin/ld: error: modules/standard/libstandard.a: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)
> /home/vadve/ssahoo2/local/bin/ld: error: modules/extra/libextra.a: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)
> /home/vadve/ssahoo2/local/bin/ld: error: main/libmain.a: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)
>
> I tried ranlib/llvm-ranlib, but it didn't work. Can someone help me, if I am doing anything wrong here?

You shouldn't need ranlib nor llvm-ranlib.

I'm not entirely sure what's up with the .a files. It looks like ar has
grown a --plugin options to match gold, whereas I seem to recall it used
to just look in a fixed directory.

Rafael, have you been following what binutils has done with plugins for
ar, nm and friends? It looks like we might need to update llvm-gcc to
pass the gold plugin flag to ar and nm.

Nick