[LLVMdev] Idea for Google Summer Code : C Compiler for EFI Byte Code implement in LLVM

琬菁楊 ching1119.cs96 at g2.nctu.edu.tw
Wed Mar 10 08:57:11 PST 2010

Hello all,

I am highly interestd in implementing C compiler for EFI Byte Code in LLVM
and participate in Google Summer Code.

EFI is a much larger, more complex,OS-like replacement for the older BIOS
firmware interface present in all IBM PC-compatible personal computers.
and the EFI specification provides for a processor-independent device driver
environment(like virtualmachine), called EFI Byte Code or EBC.

Intel(R) C Compiler for EFI Byte Code, the only one C compiler for EFI Byte
Code
(http://sx.intel.com/p-553-intel-c-compiler-for-efi-byte-code.aspx)
is not open source, and also a pay software.

I think the main issue is that EFI C dialect is not ANSI-C compliant: the
size of pointer is determined at the run-time and therefore the layout of
the structure is not static. Does LLVM support this model?

And I am wondering whether this kind of idea is valuable to the LLVM
community? or are there any other related ideas is more valuable?

thanks

ching