[LLVMdev] HPC framework

Dan Gohman gohman at apple.com
Tue Mar 9 19:03:38 PST 2010

On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:27 AM, Guillermo Aguirre de Cárcer wrote:

> I have been thinking of using LLVM to design a framework for parallel
> programming of High Performance Computers. The concept is that a VM will
> provide the necessary partition between software developers and the
> underlying hardware. If a programmer could describe his program
> sufficiently well so that parallelism can be easily extracted, and
> hardware vendors could describe their systems sufficiently well so that
> the parallelizing could be optimized, the result would be highly
> portable and efficient.
>
> I have created a GitHub repository to work on this idea, although at the
> moment I have no code. I do have a wiki set up at
> http://wiki.github.com/guillermin/FPPF/ with a lengthier description of
> the idea, and the doubts I am having. I would be very interested in
> hearing from LLVM developers, since I have only started to look at LLVM
> and still don't fully grasp it.

A good way to start would be to look at Chapel, Fortress, and X10,
three projects which have basically the same goals as those you
describe, and write down some thoughts about how your system would
compare and contrast with them. This would help people understand
what kind of system you're thinking about, which would help them
determine how LLVM might be used in it.

Dan