[LLVMdev] LLVM-gcc for Ada

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Fri Mar 5 02:09:10 PST 2010

Hi Roger,

> I am trying to build llvm-gcc-4.2 but cannot figure out how to get past the problem described below.

you need to build with GNAT GPL 2007 or earlier, as described here:
  http://llvm.org/docs/GCCFEBuildInstrs.html
This is because llvm-gcc-4.2 is based on gcc-4.2, and you have the same problem
with gcc-4.2.  I don't know if anyone ever built an Ada-enabled llvm-gcc on
MacOS before, so you may have additional problems.

That said, I'm not working on Ada support in llvm-gcc-4.2 any more: my efforts
are directed at the dragonegg project: http://dragonegg.llvm.org/
This allows you to use LLVM with gcc-4.5.  The Ada front-end in gcc-4.5 is much
more capable than in gcc-4.2, so this is a huge improvement as far as Ada is
concerned.  Unfortunately, I didn't get round to implementing exception handling
in dragonegg yet, which is rather fatal for Ada code.  "Any day now" :)

Also, GCC plugins don't work on Mac OS without some (small) patches.  This is
because dynamic libraries work a bit differently there as compared to eg
linux.  This should really be fixed in GCC.  Anton managed to get it all
working, so he would be a good person to ask if you are interested.

Ciao,

Duncan.