[LLVMdev] Pass and return of large objects

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 18:41:14 PST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:34 AM, Dan Gohman <gohman at apple.com> wrote:
> If you're wondering what this limit is, you're probably heading down
> the wrong path, unless you're ultimate interest here is to work on
> optimizer techniques for transforming this kind of code into
> something usable.

No, I'm just trying for correctness -- most of the time, only small
objects will be passed by value, for obvious efficiency reasons. If it
turns out the limit is the same as for integers, for example, i.e. the
size of two pointers, then I can say, OK, that's the threshold, and
anything bigger than that gets explicitly implemented as sret.