[LLVMdev] Erasing Instruction

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 18 07:54:24 PDT 2010

Chayan Sarkar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how to erase an instruction, (specially a
> load/store instruction) ?
>
> If I use Instr->eraseFromParent(), I get following error. Note the
> instruction does not have any use.

Are you calling the eraseFromParent() method on an Instruction inside a
loop?  If so, is that loop iterating over instructions using an iterator?

If so, then the problem might be that you're invalidating the iterator
that iterates over instructions.  When I delete instructions, I
typically iterate over the list of instructions and record those I want
to delete into a std::vector<> and then use another loop that fetches
the last element in the std::vector<> and deletes it.  While less
efficient, I never have iterator invalidation errors.

-- John T.