[LLVMdev] Win32 COFF Support

Nathan Jeffords blunted2night at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 13:43:25 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Michael Spencer <bigcheesegs at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Matt Fleming <matt at console-pimps.org>
> wrote:
> > FYI, I've been working wth Daniel to try and pull all the Mach-O
> > specific things out of llvm-mc and lib/MC and put them into object file
> > classes. Once those patches are merged it should be a small matter of
> > programming to get COFF support for llvm-mc, given that the ObjectWriter
> > and Streamer stuff is already written.
>
> How would this work? Aren't there object type specific directives in
> assembly files?

Once the assembler is no longer directly dependent on MachO, all sections
would be the object file specific versions. At that point it would be a
matter of adding support for the few COFF specific attributes.

> I know some people are working on native linkers for LLVM. It would be
> interesting to see an architecture for handling object files that
> could be shared between lib/MC and a linker.

This would be good I think.

If a linker loaded object files into an IR, maybe CAssembler could handle
the linking process also. Would it be safe to assume that on a
development/build machine, the executable image, and all the object files it
will be made up of could be loaded into memory in some IR? Or would an
architecture where the linker only reads headers and symbol information into
memory and then copies data sections into the final EXE on the fly?

- Michael Spencer

- Nathan