[LLVMdev] Adding support to LLVM for data & code layout (needed by GHC)

Andrew Lenharth andrewl at lenharth.org
Thu Jun 10 10:08:11 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM, David Terei <davidterei at gmail.com> wrote:
> Its good to see that a feature of this nature would be useful to a
> whole range of people, I wasn't aware of that.
>
> On 9 June 2010 22:40, Andrew Lenharth <andrewl at lenharth.org> wrote:
>> My argument amounts to express side tables as side tables in the IR
>> rather than as an ordering on globals.  I think that would simplify
>> the backend (a side table is something you discover form the function
>> rather than having to check another global).  Also, if well specified,
>> I think you could allow basic block labels into structures which makes
>> them more interesting for other uses.
>
> Sure. I wasn't set on the third approach I suggested, which is to have
> them expressed as side tables in the IR as I didn't realise other
> users would be interested in them so I didn't think it would be
> appropriate to add new language constructs for one user. I don't think
> it would simpler to implement in the backend though and this approach
> would need changes to the frontend, so a lot more work.

The backend already can sort of do this with the GCMetadataPrinter.
Generalizing that to arbitrary side tables might be easier than adding
a new construct (granted sidetables might not replace the ability to
output assembly by that class, but they might do a lot of the heavy
lifting).  Since GC lowering happens on the IR level (from the docs I
looked at, I haven't personally dealt with GC yet), it maybe possible
to do a lot of lowering to generalized tables rather than complex
GCMetadataPrinter implementations.  This is just speculation on my
part though.  This is one of the reasons I thought labels in the
constant structs could be handy.  Perhaps a general side table
representation in the backend could be used by EH too?

Andrew