[LLVMdev] Adding support to LLVM for data & code layout (needed by GHC)

Eugene Toder eltoder at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 14:16:17 PDT 2010

Yes, the global structure is constant. This is indeed a side-table.
Overriding section of global to be in text is simple -- LLVM already
supports section attribute on globals and functions. However we also
need a specific ordering in text.
With some extra work this ordering can be achieved with gnu linker (I
posted example implementation earlier) without any changes to LLVM, so
the main points for having a direct support for side-tables in LLVM is
1) Not relying on external tool
2) Optimizer issues

Eugene