[LLVMdev] Why asserts don't provide much information?

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at google.com
Sat Jun 5 12:41:57 PDT 2010

Don't all IDEs have a debugger that can set a breakpoint and call
functions from the program to see what they print? If you can't set
breakpoints or call dump() on an LLVM value, you're going to have more
problems than just this assertion.

I don't think it's worth annotating all assertions with extra
information, but this one probably happens often enough to deserve it.
If anyone wants to beef it up, you can follow the example in ~Value:

#ifndef NDEBUG      // Only in -g mode...
  // Check to make sure that there are no uses of this value that are still
  // around when the value is destroyed.  If there are, then we have a dangling
  // reference and something is wrong.  This code is here to print out what is
  // still being referenced.  The value in question should be printed as
  // a <badref>
  //
  if (!use_empty()) {
    dbgs() << "While deleting: " << *VTy << " %" << getNameStr() << "\n";
    for (use_iterator I = use_begin(), E = use_end(); I != E; ++I)
      dbgs() << "Use still stuck around after Def is destroyed:"
  }
#endif
  assert(use_empty() && "Uses remain when a value is destroyed!");