[LLVMdev] Why are LLVM libraries enormous?

Mark Lacey 641 at rudkx.com
Tue Jul 27 22:36:08 PDT 2010

> I think it's fair to wonder what makes it is so large, why MacOS seems to
> get different results, and whether it is possible to construct an example
> less than 1 MB.

My experience with trying to make the smallest JIT possible resulted in
something that was around 1.3MB on Windows, using VC++ to compile,
optimizing for size, and linking with /OPT:REF,ICF. This JIT did *no
optimization at all* - pulling in something like instcombine tripled the
size if I recall correctly. It's possible I missed opportunities for making
it smaller, but when I asked on the list I got no further suggestions for
improving on this.

I don't know how feasible it would be to refactor the existing code to get
something significantly smaller that actually performed some optimization as
well.

Mark