[LLVMdev] llc generated machine assembly code for NASM

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Thu Jan 28 12:49:48 PST 2010

> Wow.  It's perhaps too much of a distraction, but I'm curious about the
> details of this.  It's probably because it's first mission is to be a
> compiler back-end, but the common wisdom is that gas is bare-bones and
> masm is featureful.
Think about one thing: vcpp emits object file directly, not via masm.
The generated listings (via /Fa option) cannot be assembled, in
general.

> Is any of this documented somewhere I can just go off and read, or is it
> just lore in the LLVM community?
At some time (say, LLVM 1.7-1.8 dates) it was a hope, that intel
asmprinter will be as usable as gnu as. Unfortunately, it turned out
that this is not possible.
Pick any non-trivial C++ app and try to convert the output to masm /
nasm and you'll get an idea (linkonce / weak stuff is an example, but
not the last problem).

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov