[LLVMdev] how to compile asm output for x86 with Micorsoft's ML

Jim Crafton jim.crafton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:01:07 PST 2010

> Nope, llvm's .s output is only compatible with GAS and other at&t syntax
> assemblers.  It turns out that MASM syntax is highly ambiguous and MASM is
> not production quality for use by a compiler.  This is why visual studio
> doesn't go through it.  Long term, we'd like LLVM to be able to write out .o
> files directly, if you're interested in adding PECOFF support, that would be
> very nice :)

Crapola. I was afraid that was going to be the case. This was
originally something to do to have fun playing with Objective C, I'm
not sure PECOFF support would fall under that :)  Any idea how nasty
that would be?
Oh well, I guess the idea of doing this on windows isn't going to
happen anytime soon.

Cheers

Jim