[LLVMdev] [LLVMDev] Does our own developed module and functions can go along with the future improved version of LLVM?

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Tue Jan 12 00:27:05 PST 2010

Hi Minwook Ahn,

> We want to build our compiler based on LLVM by adding our own modules
> and functions
>
> which are specific to the features of our processor hardware.

do you mean that you have files containing bitcode which contain useful
routines for your processor, and that you use like a library?

> In case of our developed modules, is it guaranteed that the modules can
> work in the future version of LLVM?

The LLVM policy is that old bitcode should continue to work in future
releases.  Usually bitcode is transparently upgraded when loaded by
newer tools, however some future versions may require you to run an
upgrade tool on the bitcode.  This has happened in the past when the
internal changes were large enough to make auto-upgrade impractical.

Best wishes,

Duncan.