[LLVMdev] From OS X to LINUX

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 09:02:56 PST 2010

On 01/10/2010 03:09 PM, Garrison Venn wrote:
> For close to the last decade or so, I've been developing on OS X and then porting to LINUX. I know there are those who object
> to this approach, but it works for me. However I noticed that when porting my exception example to LINUX, which involved
> adding a whopping -rdynamic to the build line, there were technologies missing from my gcc and LINUX installation as compared
> to what is on OS X 10.6.2. For example, when building LLVM on LINUX, I noticed that ffi and atomic builtins were missing from LINUX and gcc
> respectively.
>
> My question is: What are the minimal packages that are recommended that would bring my LINUX distribution as close as possible
> to a 32 bit par version of what is on a clean OS X 10.6.2 development environment when developing with LLVM? I'm currently using a
> CentOS dist., but I'm up for another if that is preferred.
>
> On LINUX uname -srvmpio gives: Linux 2.6.18-164.10.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jan 7 20:00:41 EST 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux,
> while gcc -v gives: gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)

That compiler is rather old. I think there are gcc 4.4 packages for centos.

If you want a recent compiler with a recent userland then centos is not
a good choice,
they are server releases, and stay with old versions of packages for a
long time.
Something like Debian unstable, or Fedora might be a better choice.

Best regards,
--Edwin