[LLVMdev] make fails to detect changes in case srcdir != objdir

David Greene dag at cray.com
Tue Jan 5 09:30:41 PST 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 03:38, Gregory Petrosyan wrote:
> LLVM makefiles can't detect source changes in case objdir != srcdir, e.g.

I haven't found that.  I build with objdir != srcdir all the time.

> I've managed to get my pass listed in 'opt -help' only after removing opt
> subdir from objdir and running make again. Re-configuring LLVM also does

It sounds like the dependencies for your pass are not correct.  Where
did you put it in the LLVM tree and how did you change the Makefiles?

> not trigger rebuild when running make, e.g. after initial 'configure
> --enable-targets=x86' I've managed to get C backend only after removing
> objdir and re-configuring (was too lazy to check if 'make clean' is
> sufficient).

A non-build after reconfigure is not really a problem.  If nothing in
the configuration has changed configure is smart enough not to update
anything so make doesn't see any changes.

                                -Dave