[LLVMdev] C Compiler written in OCaml, Pointers Wanted

Jianzhou Zhao jianzhou at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Feb 24 05:26:33 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 03:58:03 Jianzhou Zhao wrote:
>> I think LLVM OCaml bindings do not support JIT too much.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?

I meant the OCaml bindings let OCaml call existing C++ LLVM routines,
such as creating an execution engine, JIT-ing a function with existing JIT
or interpret or, and evaluating a function,
  as what http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/OCamlLangImpl4.html shows.
But LLVM has not exposed the LLVM interfaces to design a new JIT
  like http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMBackend.html#jitSupport.
I did not find such bindings from
bindings/ocaml/executionengine/llvm_executionengine.ml.
Please fix me if I am wrong.

> Several major projects are using OCaml's LLVM bindings to execute non-trivial
> code via JIT.

Could you please point out what these projects are? I am very interested in
looking into these projects to see if they exposed any more LLVM interfaces,
and how they did this.

OCaml bindings for optimizations have not exposed the LLVM interfaces to
let OCaml define a new optimization pass yet. I was planning to design
an OCaml LLVM pass, so it would help a lot to look at how JIT bindings are used.

Thanks a lot.

Jianzhou