[LLVMdev] Disabling rtti on default build - could it be reverted/re-enabled?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Feb 19 02:54:58 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Pekka Jääskeläinen
<pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi> wrote:
>  From now on these users need to recompile LLVM from sources with non-default
> flags to make TCE (or other external projects using both LLVM and RTTI) to
> be able to link with it. I think this should matter something in comparison to
> a 5% disk size reduction which can be still achieved with disabling RTTI
> when compiling LLVM for low disk space devices or during LLVM development
> that requires frequent recompiles.

IMO, if you wish to preserve the ability to ever turn off RTTI, you
must turn it off by default for the developers' builds so that any
code which might depend on RTTI breaks immediately. Otherwise, it
seems only a matter of time before dependencies slowly creep back into
the code base. This has certainly proven true with GCC warnings. =/ I
think Nick has it right: developers should build with the most
restrictive settings expected to work, packagers should build with the
most forgiving settings they can tolerate.