[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Reminder: 2.7 code freeze in 1.5 weeks

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Feb 15 07:49:11 PST 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 12:30 AM, Holger Schurig wrote:

>> Clang C++ only gets one big coming-out party (ever); a little
>> more time will make a big difference.
>
> Hmm, wouldn't that speak against jamming this into 2.7 ?  Let 2.7
> go out and don't bark at it's C++ status. That gives you a full
> release-cycle to get C++ into some *REALLY* good state.

Where's the excitement in that? Another release cycle is 6 months away, and if past progress is any indication, we'll have gotten Clang C++ to the point where it "just works" for the vast majority of C++ programs [1]. At that point, it will also be 9 months after our first "self-host", which is an eternity in open-source time.

No, 2.7 is the right time-frame for the Clang C++ announcement: we're not done, but we have enough to show to gain attention and draw in contributors, and we have some momentum now from having just announced a successful self-host.

> For
> example, a state where you can not just say "Oh, Firefox doesn't
> crash anymore", but where are benchmarks for compilation time,
> compilation memory consumption and execution speeds exists.

Those benchmarks are trivial to produce, and while we won't have time to further optimize for any of them, we will be able to establish a baseline [2] in 2.7 and improve from there.

	- Doug

[2] Compilation memory consumption and compilation time already look better than GCC, along with clearer diagnostics and Clang's other benefits, so we'll have something to say already.