[LLVMdev] Reminder: 2.7 code freeze in 1.5 weeks

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Fri Feb 12 15:02:41 PST 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 8:25 AM, David Greene wrote:

> On Thursday 11 February 2010 18:17:33 Tanya Lattner wrote:
>> Just a reminder that the 2.7 code freeze is on Feb 21st.
>>
>> All major changes should be committed approximately 1 week before the code
>> freeze to ensure adequate testing. Please do your part to keep the tree
>> stable in the days leading up to the code freeze.
>
> Since the metadata stuff just settled recently, I like to ask for some time to
> get the non-temporal stuff in.  This is really critical for our work here and
> it would be nice to get this into 2.7.

Generally, I favor timed releases over feature releases, but... the Clang team would also like a little more time to prepare for the 2.7 release. Specifically, we propose to push back by 2 weeks, with the revised schedule being:

3/7 - Code Freeze (9PM PST)
3/13 - Pre-release1 released & community testing begins
3/20 - Pre-release1 testing ends
3/27 - Pre-release2 released & community testing begins
4/3 - Pre-release2 testing ends
4/5 - Release

Why now?

Clang's C++ support is at an important transitional point: we can self-host a Debug build, and are starting to build significant C++ open source projects such as CMake, Firefox, Qt, and even parts of Boost. LLVM 2.7 is the perfect opportunity to enable Clang C++ support by default and announce to the open-source community that we now have something worth looking at. However, we have several known semantic analysis bugs and miscompiles that prevent self-hosting with optimization enabled, cause Firefox to crash on startup, etc. To advertise Clang C++ widely as part of 2.7 while these bugs remain would be embarrassing, but we feel that we can address the major problems with only a two-week slip in the schedule.

Clang C++ only gets one big coming-out party (ever); a little more time will make a big difference.

	- Doug