[LLVMdev] Debugging of LLVM-IR

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Thu Feb 11 02:39:30 PST 2010

Sebastian Schlunke <schlunki at cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
> I suspected something like that.  :(
>
> I was hoping i could run the program and step throught IR-Code line by line, maybe even have a look at the variables.
>
> Well, what about compiling it into assembler-code. Is there any way
> to know which IR-line generated which assembler line(s)? (I do not
> need any optimizations or whatever, if that helps...)

What if you write a program that

1) adds a new GlobalVariable

2) prepends each instruction in the program with a volatile store to
that GlobalVariable using a unique value (line number or instruction
count).

When the program crashes you can use gdb to read the contents of that
GlobalVariable to see the last IR instruction that was executed? ;-)