[LLVMdev] Integrated instruction scheduling/register allocation

Gergö Barany gergo at complang.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 3 06:00:44 PST 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm in the formative stage of my PhD studies. My current focus is on
integrated approaches to instruction scheduling and register allocation. A
colleague pointed me to Evan Cheng's talk at the August 2008 developer
meeting [1], where he very briefly mentioned allowing the register allocator
to reschedule instructions as a "crazy idea" for the future.

I independently arrived at the same crazy idea :-) and I'm wondering if
anybody ever went and actually implemented a rescheduling allocator in LLVM.
I've done some poking around the web, the mailing list archives and the LLVM
source code, but I haven't found anything suggesting that this has been
done. If anyone has tried it and would be willing to share code, insights,
or lessons learned, I would be very grateful to hear from them.

[1] http://www.llvm.org/devmtg/2008-08/

Thanks,
Gergo
Gergö Barany, research assistant                   gergo at complang.tuwien.ac.at
Institute of Computer Languages        http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/gergo/
Vienna University of Technology                         Tel: +43-1-58801-58522
Argentinierstrasse 8/E185, 1040 Wien, Austria           Fax: +43-1-58801-18598