[LLVMdev] llvm-mc ELF, macho PEcoff

Michael Spencer bigcheesegs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:46:30 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Marius <wishinet at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think llvm-mc did amazing work and I'm stunned ;). - So I start
> reading source-code and making notes.
> To my question: At which state is the disassembly for PEcoff or ELF?
>
> I read the blog (http://blog.llvm.org/2010/04/intro-to-llvm-mc-project.html):
> """
> The MC components have been designed to be object file independent
> (e.g. work for MachO, ELF, PE-COFF etc) but only have an
> implementation for MachO (used on Mac OS/X systems). Adding support
> for ELF and/or PE-COFF should be reasonably straight-forward.
> """
> I don't even see the MachO support. macho-dump only dumps Macho header
> information.It doesn't seem to do much more. I'm on svn 121904. Could
> someone fill me in on how to selectively disassemble something with
> this undocumented tool-chain. I'd like to see support for binary
> contains, but I cannot find proper references about what has already
> been done.

llvm-mc cannot read object files. I am currently working on generic
object file support; however, it is not fully in tree yet, and even
then it's not a complete API yet. It currently includes a nm and
objdump -d clone.

See: http://llvm.org/devmtg/2010-11/ Object Files in LLVM
And: http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20101108/111581.html

- Michael Spencer