[LLVMdev] Parallel testsuite run breaks

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Thu Dec 9 12:58:09 PST 2010

Török Edwin <edwintorok at gmail.com> writes:

>> It seems I spoke too soon about build-level parallelization (running
>> multiple parallel builds in parallel).  4.1.2 works fine for
>> Debug+Asserts builds but fails horribly on Release+Asserts buils on
>> SLES 10.1 when run by itself.
>
> Can you try running some of the failing lines manually and see if they
> still fail?

The ones I try manually pass.  I assume all of them do.  That means
there's something about my build environment that's wonky, I think.

> Also are you doing these tests on LLVM 2.8, or trunk?

Trunk.

> There's one caveat with running tests though:
> if you have opt, llc, etc. in your path then 'make check' might use
> those instead of the ones you just built.

Hmm...I'll double-check that.  This seems like a fragile test setup.  I
would expect hard-coded paths to the tools being tested.

Yep, I do have those tools in my path.  But why would results change for
Debug vs. Release?

> IIRC I've bumped into that when I had an old LLVM 2.6 in /usr/local, and
> 2.7 tests failed.
>
>> I'm assuming there's nothing wrong
>> with doing an LLVM parallel build (make -j).
>
> make -j is fine, I do it all the time. I've never run make check
> in parallel though.

I don't run make check in parallel either.  I do make check-all, though.
I wonder if the extra tests are the ones failing.  I'll change that and
the path and see what happens.

                           -Dave