[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] OpenCL support

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Wed Dec 8 18:00:58 PST 2010

[Villmow, Micah] This example is incorrect. There is a race condition between the writes to vint and vvint and the reads from vint/vvint. The reason being is that all threads in a work-group share the memory that vint is allocated in. So if you have two work-items in a work-group, both work-items are writing to the same memory location and you don't know which thread is writing to that location. Also, the barrier is in the wrong location as you need to verify that all threads writes to your local before you can safely start reading to it. A quick example using two work items running in parallel.
Cycle WI 1       WI 2
1     read A[0]
2                read A[0]
3     write vint
4                write vint
5                write vvint
6                read vint
7     write vvint
8     read vint
10    read vvint
11               read vvint
12    barrier
13               barrier

It is pretty easy to see why it is a race condition. 1, there is no synchronization between store and load and two both work items are writing to the same memory. This is even more troublesome on AMD GPU's when we run up to 256 work items in parallel. I would keep this in mind when attempting to define some standard way to do this.

> is translated to this, which does pass through Clang, with __local
> meaning attrib addrspace(2):
>
> extern __local void * __get_work_group_local_base_addr(void); //
> intrinsic
> void foo(__global int*A) {
>    __local struct __local_vars_s {
>       int vint;
>       int *vpint;
>       int const *vcpint;
>       int volatile vvint;
>    } * const __local_vars
>             // this is a *private* variable, pointing to *local*
> addresses.
>             // it's a const pointer because it shouldn't change; and
> being const may expose optimizations
>        = __get_work_group_local_base_addr();  // the new intrinsic
>    int a = A[0];
>    __local_vars->vint = a;   // l-values are translated as memory
> stores.
>    __local_vars->vvint = a;
>    int a2 = __local_vars->vint;   // r-values are translated as memory
> loads
>    int va2 = __local_vars->vvint;
>    barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE);
>    A[0] = a2 + va2;
> }

[Villmow, Micah] I'd prefer not to embed them in a structure for the simple reason that it isn't the way we do it. What we do for OpenCL at AMD on the GPU is we turn it into something like the following:
@cllocal_foo_vint int* addressspace(2) [1xi32]; <-- forgive my pseudo LLVM-IR.
@cllocal_foo_vvint int* addressspace(2) volatile [1xi32];
void foo(__global int*A) {
    __local int *vint = &cllocal_foo_vint;
    __local int *vpint; <-- this is just a pointer and requires no modification
    __local int const *vcpint; <-- same here, only arrays or variables require modification
    __local int volatile *vvint = &cllocal_foo_vvint;
    int a = A[0];
    *vint = a;
    *vvint = a;
    int a2 = *vint;
    int va2 = *vvint;
    A[0] = a2 + va2;
}

Also, don't forget there is a difference between local int a and local int* a, one is just a pointer to some pre-allocated memory and the other actually
requires memory to be allocated. Any implementation should ignore local pointers variables and only deal with local scalar, vector and array variables.

> As an extension, the backend ought to be able to use some smarts to
> simplify this down in simple cases.  For example if the system only
> ever allows one work group at a time, then the intrinsic could boil
> down to returning a constant, and then link time optimization can
> scrub away unneeded work.  Similarly if you have a GPU style
> environment where (as Peter described) the "local" addresses are the
> same integer value but in different groups point to different storage,
> then again the intrinsic returns a constant and again LTO optimizes
> the result.
>
> I haven't thought through the implications of a kernel having such
> vars calling another kernel having such variables.  At least the
> OpenCL spec says that the behaviour is implementation-defined for such
> a case.  It would be nice to be able to represent any of the sane
> possibilities.

[Villmow, Micah] A kernel with locally defined variables cannot call another kernel with local variables. This is illegal in OpenCL because when a kernel calls another kernel, that kernel is treated as a normal function. A normal function is not allowed to have local variables declared inside the body. Basically this restricts locally defined variables in a kernel body to the top level kernel function only.

Micah