[LLVMdev] Bad gcc versions

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:20:11 PST 2010

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 12:09:27 -0600
greened at obbligato.org (David A. Greene) wrote:

> Török Edwin <edwintorok at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What are we left with then? Only 4.2 and 4.3?
>
> On SLES 10.1 at least.  I think it is highly platform dependent.

Also keep in mind that llvm-gcc uses the 4.2 unwinder, so if you are
seeing EH failures maybe the EH info generated by llvm-gcc is not
compatible with 4.4 or 4.5
(we had this problem in the past, but got fixed).

> > I only use 4.4 since a while, and it works fairly well.
>
> On what platform?

Debian and RHEL5, x86-64. Early versions of 4.1.2 that comes with RHEL5
are not very reliable.

> > Are you sure it is not a bug in the regression tests themselves
> > (strict-aliasing bugs, etc.)?
>
> No, I'm not sure.
>
> > Which regression tests are failing with LLVM 2.8 and GCC 4.4.x?
>
> Too many to list.

Can you give me 2 or 3 examples (that fail with LLVM 2.8 and GCC 4.4
but work with LLVM 2.8 and GCC 4.3), also I'd like to know how they
fail.
If I have some time I'll check with my 4.4 to see if they fail.

> > So in the latest version we don't run LLVM's make check at all
>
> That's dangerous in my experience.

Well I still check locally, but I don't want anymore "Python doesn't
work" bugreports on ClamAV bugzilla.

Best regards,
--Edwin