[LLVMdev] Bad gcc versions

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 09:02:12 PST 2010

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:43:48 -0600
David Greene <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> I have been tracking down various build problems and found some
> more gcc versions that don't work.  4.4.x and 4.5.x seem to
> be particularly bad.

What are we left with then? Only 4.2 and 4.3?
I only use 4.4 since a while, and it works fairly well.

Are you sure it is not a bug in the regression tests themselves
(strict-aliasing bugs, etc.)?
Which regression tests are failing with LLVM 2.8 and GCC 4.4.x?

> In addition to the set of bad gcc versions posted on the web,
> can we create a list of known-good gcc versions?  It took me
> a long time to figure out a good combination.
>
> On SLES 10.1 x86_64, gcc 4.1.2 works reasonably well, though one
> clang test fails.

In ClamAV we enable LLVM only if GCC is >= 4.1.2 [*], and that has
worked fairly well.

We only had problems with Python (<2.4 are problematic),custom built Pythons lacking thread support, some Python versions (2.5+)
just crash, etc. We also had problems with some tests (they got fixed
AFAICT) that didn't work when some backend was not built (like
X86-specific tests enabled on PPC).

So in the latest version we don't run LLVM's make check at all, but
aside from Python bugs I didn't see any compiler bugs causing them to
fail.

[*] Certain old versions of 4.1.2 on RHEL were buggy, but recently updated
4.1.2 on RHEL worked.

Best regards,
--Edwin