[LLVMdev] What are the optimizations that gold uses during the final link stage?

Rafael Espindola espindola at google.com
Tue Aug 31 10:59:16 PDT 2010

> Would not it be useful to debug LLVM optimizer bugs ?

Yes. That is a good point for keeping it.

> BTW, if you call lto_codegen_write_merged_modules() from linker after
> optimization but before generating machine code and you'll get a .bc file
> without function foo.
> In other words, when to use this hook is up to libLTO user. It is not
> required to use this hook all the time.

I see. Unfortunately there is no optimization function in lto.h. As
far as I can tell the optimizations are being done in
lto_codegen_compile which also generates machine code. Should I expose
a lto_codegen_optimize function and have lto_codegen_compile call it
if was not called by the user already?

> -
> Devang

Thanks,