[LLVMdev] [RFC] Moving to Sphinx for LLVM and friends documentation (with partial implementation (in both 10pt and 12pt font)).

Steven Watanabe watanabesj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 08:27:08 PDT 2010

AMDG

OvermindDL1 wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 18, 2010, at 4:01 PM, David A. Greene wrote:
>>
>>> And the fact that Boostbook knows how to import Doxygen XML output is a
>>> killer feature.  Having a hardcopy of the Doxygen reference can be
>>> really useful.
>>>
>>> I agree with Chris that at the moment, BoostBook/QuickBook is too hard
>>> to set up.  I'm certainly not about to use bcp magic and litter my
>>> workspace with it.  Get it packaged separately and it's a winner, I
>>> think.  A nice Debian package would do wonders.
>>>
>> I'm not interested in solving boostbook's issues here.  I'm interested in getting the documentation in llvm to suck less.  The shortest and best path seems to be through sphinx.
>>

> We would not use boostbook at all, just quickbook, which would then
> use docbook.  Boostbook is just the look and feel of the boost
> documentation, LLVM would have its own of course, hence no using of
> boostbook.  Look above to see the most complicated method of building.

boostbook contains extensions to docbook for API documentation,
which are used by both quickbook and the doxygen2boostbook
stylesheet.  There are really two sets of stylesheets, the ones that
convert boostbook to docbook, and the docbook customizations.
Eventually, the boostbook to docbook stylesheets may go away,
since there was a GSoC project this summer for integrating
our extensions into docbook, but this is not certain yet.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe