[LLVMdev] LLVM development in Xcode

Relph, Richard Richard.Relph at amd.com
Wed Apr 28 08:15:31 PDT 2010

In trying to set up a LLVM development environment, CMake seemed "too easy" - cmake <srctree>. No configuration options necessary whatsoever. But it worked, at least for Xcode on MacOS and for Visual Studio on Windows. Builds were successful. I have not tried running any of the output yet, though, since I don't yet have a front-end set up.
Yet in discussion here, a lot of people are referring to configure options and the like.
When or why should someone use configure instead of CMake or vice-versa? Are both equally well maintained? What configure options does an optionless CMake-created build environment most closely match?

TIA,
Richard