[LLVMdev] Proposal for a new LLVM concurrency memory model

David Greene dag at cray.com
Tue Apr 27 12:00:32 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 13:56:05 Renato Golin wrote:
> On 27 April 2010 19:16, David Greene <dag at cray.com> wrote:
> > IMHO, LLVM is the wrong
> > place to deal with these.  It should be done at a higher level.
> > It _can_ be done at the LLVM IR level, but much less conveniently.
>
> Now I agree with you, completely. ;)

I suspect not.  :)  I still mean within the compiler, just at a higher
level program abstraction; a higher-level IR.

Concurrent languages can help, but history shows that it's tough to
get them accepted.  HPF is a four-letter word here.  ;)  Now CAF,
on the other hand...

Maybe this trend will change with the new silicon constraints, but I'm
skeptical.  We'll be programming in C, C++ and Fortran for a long time.

The compiler is going to have to find parallelism and the user is
going to have to help with directives.

                            -Dave