[LLVMdev] Proposal for a new LLVM concurrency memory model

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Tue Apr 27 10:16:26 PDT 2010

On 27 April 2010 17:28, David Greene <dag at cray.com> wrote:
> The compiler integrates into a comprehensive programming environment.
> It has to know what the environment provides and uses.  That _is_ very much
> the compiler's responsibility.

I agree the compilers should know about threads, but enough to work
around the issues and not start creating threads the user didn't ask
for.

I'm not against enhancing the compiler to that point, I just think
that you're digging too deep and Balrog might show up unexpectedly.
Thread issues can be daunting by themselves, automatically creating
threaded code is a recipe to disaster, IMHO.

> Again, my vote is to define vector atomics as respecting atomicity across
> elements and make it the compiler's and user's job to know when it can use
> them.

By means of #pragmas?

cheers,
--renato

http://systemcall.org/

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at