[LLVMdev] Proposal for a new LLVM concurrency memory model

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Mon Apr 26 03:14:00 PDT 2010

On 26 April 2010 10:49, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
> Certainly for languages such as Java, they will make up a surprisingly large
> chunk of the loads and stores, and instructions have much mor flexibility in
> terms of syntax. On the flip side, it's a lot of plumbing IIRC, and we'd
> really need to stick to the very minimal set of operations, supporting more
> obscure ones by pattern matching or intrinsics.

If you add it to the instructions, their syntax will be more complex
than they are today, and reading them could prove a challenge.

IMHO, we should keep it simple. I agree that multi-task is ubiquitous
nowadays but the detailed implementation might vary considerably from
language to language and making it explicit only helps, at least in
the beginning.

cheers,
--renato

http://systemcall.org/

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at