[LLVMdev] Proposal for Adding MetaData to a BasicBlock

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 24 09:22:59 PDT 2010

kalyan ponnala wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> Per my posting on the Clang Newsgroup.
>
> I'm interested in doing some loop optimizations, towards this end I
> would like to add some custom Metadata to a Loop header.
>
> Loops in LLVM are represented using BasicBlocks, but unfortunately you
> can NOT add MetaData to a BasicBlock.  Although you can add Metadata
> to an instruction.  So I'm proposing to add the Metadata manipulation
> methods and state from class "Instruction" to class "BasicBlock".

I have also needed to add meta-data to basic blocks for a research
project on which I'm working.  I have written an implementation in LLVM
2.6 and will probably port the implementation to LLVM 2.7, so I've done
some thinking about how to do it in both versions.

Here are some thoughts for you to think about:

1) In LLVM 2.6 (and probably LLVM 2.7), you can, in fact, add metadata
that contains a Basic Block because BasicBlock derives from Value (I
create MDNodes that contain a BasicBlock * as one of its elements).
However, you can't write the bitcode out to disk (because the
BitcodeWriter pass can't handle it).  What I did in my code was to write
one pass that adds the meta-data and another that removes it.  In this
way, other passes can use the metadata, but it gets removed right at the
end of my transforms.

2) For LLVM 2.7., I was thinking that I could add meta-data to the
BasicBlock's terminator instruction.  Each BasicBlock has a unique
Terminator instruction; adding metadata to it is similar to adding
metadata to the BasicBlock itself.

3) Make sure that adding meta-data is what you really need to do.  If
you're writing an analysis which can be safely recomputed on demand,
then it would be better to implement an LLVM analysis pass that computes
the data you need and have your transform pass(es) query it for the
information they need.  The Pass Manager will (re)run your analysis pass
when it is required.

-- John T.