[LLVMdev] Few questions about stack frame and calling conventions implementation in a backend

Andrew Lenharth andrewl at lenharth.org
Thu Apr 15 06:35:24 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:40 AM, Artur Pietrek <pietreka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
> Ups, I'm really sorry for that previous message, I've sent it by mistake.
>
> So let me write it once more.
>
> I've been working for some time now on a backend for our CPU. However I
> couldn't figure out how to implement some stuff.
> I'd appreciate your help with these.
>
> First thing is return address saving. To do that, first I have to copy it to
> a general purpose register. I have no idea how to find an unused gpr
> register in emitPrologue/emitEpilogue. I've noticed that in other backends
> RegScavenger is used for that purpose, but not from inside of those methods.
> So my question is how could I get an unused register from inside of these
> methods?

Do you have an API specified register where the variable is passed?
If so, it is a matter of copying it to a virtual register in the
prologue which is then a live in to the first basic block.  If you
must have it in a specific register, you can make your ret inst take
it as a use and copy the virtual register back to the physical one for
the ret.

> And my second problem is with returning structures by value. ABI says that
> aggregates up to 32bytes should be returned directly in register. Any advice
> how this could be done?

This has to be done in the front end, I think.

Andrew