[LLVMdev] Living on Clang

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Wed Apr 14 15:30:54 PDT 2010

I've been hoping to use Clang both for Mac OS X/iPhone OS development, as well as for embedded ARM development. My ARM tools currently are arm-elf-gcc and friends.

Is it possible to build Clang & LLVM to target this platform? Note that I don't actually need ELF, it's an intermediate step toward a raw binary that gets downloaded to the device.

I've been trying, with very limited success, to target ARM. I'm still not clear on where the divisions in the process really lie. What I'm hoping for (someday) is a "GNU-free" toolsuite based on Clang and LLVM. But for now, I can live with arm-elf-as and -ld, if that's the right way to go. I still don't know how LTO works into that.

TIA,
--
Rick