[LLVMdev] Why function pointer is different from other data type?

SHEN Hao hao.shen at imag.fr
Mon Apr 12 08:40:18 PDT 2010

Thanks a lot. I can understand the "float (i32)* (float (i32)*)*" is
the type of function instead of return value type.
But why in most LLVM call assembly, such as "%retval = call i32
@test(i32 %argc)" the "i32" is just the return value.

In the document, 'call' Instruction is defined as following:
<fnptrval>(<function args>) [fn attrs]

'ty': the type of the call instruction itself which is also the type
of the return value. Functions that return no value are marked void.

Would you please explain this?

Hao

--
Hao Shen