[LLVMdev] Injecting code before function prolog

Arlen Cox arlencox at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 22:35:08 PDT 2010

It seems like doing this would require one of three things:
1) it would require two overflow checks per function call.  One prior
to to the function call to handle the arguments and one after call to
handle the stack frame.  Since I am already concerned about the cost
of the overflow checks, I don't believe this is a particularly good
option (also it doesn't solve my problem of the pre-prologue code).
2) The second overflow check could be eliminated if the callee is
known at compile time.  Since the frame size of the callee could be
known at compile time, it could be combined with the callee overflow
check.  This is not adequate for many languages because of function
pointers.  If a dynamic function call is made, there is no way of
knowing the frame size of the called function, unless...
3) The function frame size is part of a function closure, allowing it
to be dynamically calculated.  I'm not sure what the overhead of this
would be in terms of memory or performance.  It would have to be
evaluated.  The only think I know to be wrong with this approach is
that it restricts these dynamic stacks to languages with some sort of
meta-information for functions.  This does not handle the
general-case, which a split stack approach, should.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I may look at number 3 in the future, but
for a first pass, I believe my current approach to be the best.  If
you have any other ideas, do please share.